A seasoned and versatile transactional attorney, David Swartz understands what it takes to make a positive difference for his clients. Having spent over 13 years of his career as a senior executive and general counsel of three real estate investment and operation companies, David inherently understands the issues, pressures, and demands that can keep clients awake at night. With this understanding, he utilizes a hands-on, collaborative approach in delivering legal services and knows what law firms can – and must – do to deliver immediate, tangible value to their clients.
David's extensive professional experience includes working in all facets of commercial real estate including leasing, financing, acquisitions and dispositions, operations, and risk management of a full gamut of real estate asset types, including hotels, multifamily, commercial, retail and industrial properties.
After starting his career as an attorney with Allen Matkins, David served as the General Counsel and Senior Vice President of Arden Realty Inc., a publicly-traded real estate investment trust, for 11 years. During his tenure with Arden, David created and led the company's legal and risk management departments, managed and negotiated over $6 billion in real estate transactions, and was instrumental in orchestrating Arden's high-profile acquisition by General Electric Capital Corporation. Following the acquisition of Arden by GE Capital, he held executive level and general counsel positions at Safco Capital, a Los Angeles-based real estate investment firm focusing on retail properties, and Latitude Management Real Estate Investors, a Beverly Hills-based private real estate fund manager specializing in multifamily investments. Prior to joining CGS3, David was a partner with Elkins Kalt Weintraub Reuben Gartside LLP.
- Represented Safco Capital Corporation, a Los Angeles-based real estate investment firm, in connection with the lease of 105,000 square feet of retail space to At Home in the Cottonwood Village Shopping Center located in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Represented Safco Capital Corporation in connection with the acquisition of the retail lot housing Gelson’s Market, a 17,833-square-foot gourmet grocery store, in West Hollywood, California. The transaction was structured as a sale-leaseback.
- Represented Doheny Eye Institute as buyer in connection with the acquisition of a campus in Pasadena, California containing a 123,000-square-foot building. The project cost $50-million and will be home to Doheny’s new headquarters.
- Represented Simon Baron Development, a New York City developer and owner of commercial and residential real estate, in connection with the acquisition of the ground lease on the 600-room Stay on Main Hotel (formerly Hotel Cecil) in Downtown Los Angeles, California.
- Represented Link Logistics Real Estate, a Blackstone portfolio company and leading operator of the largest portfolio of high-quality logistics real estate assets located exclusively in the U.S., in connection with the lease of a 310,000-square-foot building located in Riverside County, California to Pepsico Global Real Estate.
- J.D., UCLA School of Law
- B.S., University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Business