Joe von Meier approaches each client’s unique legal and business challenges from a proactive, problem-solving framework. Combining strong business acumen with sound legal judgment cultivated over nearly 20 years in practice, Joe's focus on construction and development across all segments of the commercial real estate sector has established him as a trusted partner for some of the country's top developers, investment groups and construction firms. By leveraging his command of all aspects of the development process – from entity formation and financing to construction, stabilization and disposition – he expertly guides his clients in complex real estate ventures involving investment fund creation, traditional and non-traditional debt, design and construction, and disposition of multifamily, office and warehouse/industrial assets.
Uniquely, Joe gained specialized practice in the areas of development and construction when he was retained shortly after law school by an upstart real estate development company in Chicago. Being integrated with his client's operations providing comprehensive legal and business counsel, Joe helped the company expand and grow from multi-million-dollar single-family projects to luxury adaptive-reuse condominiums, which spawned architecturally significant multi-family towers and eventually led to the client's current focus on national award-winning student housing communities. Today, Joe utilizes his extensive legal toolbelt to draft and negotiate design and consulting agreements and construction contracts for developers and end users of recognizable commercial, industrial and residential projects. His national practice emphasizes mixed-use developments and research and development facilities in urban centers. A versatile advisor to his clients, Joe also delivers strategic value and helping entrepreneurs raise equity from private investors by preparing Private Placement Memoranda, Limited Liability Company Operating Agreements and ancillary formation and regulatory documents.
Prior to joining CGS3, Joe launched his career at Chicago-based Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella PC where he worked for nearly 15 years and rose to partner. During his tenure with Burke, Warren, he served as Chair of the Summer Associate Committee helping many top attorneys launch their careers. A member of a variety of top legal and real estate industry professional organizations, Joe has become a valued and respected member of San Diego's business community.
- Drafted and negotiated design agreements and construction contracts for a new mixed-use construction of 22-story residential tower involving ground floor and one level of subgrade retail/office space, five levels of above-grade parking, and renovation of existing historic building in downtown San Diego, California.
- Drafted and negotiated a design agreement and collaboratively drafted and negotiated a construction contract for a new multi-use development consisting of 2.2 million gross square feet of lab/office, retail, museum, outdoor space, and parking comprised of three blocks located on the waterfront in downtown San Diego, California.
- Closed on the purchase of a 52-lot parcel within new planned development located in east San Diego County, including the negotiation of seller financing and the preparation of developer formation and governing documents, and negotiated and closed on multi-million-dollar hard money construction financing.
- Drafted and negotiated multiple design agreements and construction contracts for a national award-winning student housing developer consisting of total project values exceeding $750 million.
- “Leaders in Law,” San Diego Business Journal (2022)
- “Top Attorneys,” SD Metro Magazine (2020)
- Rising Stars, Chicago Super Lawyers (2009-2012)
- J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School, cum laude
- Moot Court Executive Board, Vice President – Evans
- B.A., Business Administration, University of Michigan
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- NAIOP, San Diego Chapter
- San Diego County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association