Dana possesses several skill sets that reflect his nearly 40 years of experience working on sophisticated and diverse types of commercial real estate transactions. His depth of experience is reflected in his ability to efficiently and timely focus on what matters; simplify complex issues; provide critical guidance; articulate, advocate and draft creative solutions; manage closing timelines, and work constructively and effectively with all parties. Dana's familiarity with the complexities and considerations involved in large-scale projects helps make the seemingly impossible readily achievable for his clients.
Dana has worked on a vast range of transaction types and sizes for a variety of clients ranging from individual entrepreneurs to many well-known large institutions. His expertise extends to development, purchase, and sale, lease, CC&Rs, finance and equity transactions, and joint ventures and spans a range of commercial real estate asset types including shopping centers, office and industrial parks, multifamily residential, mixed-use developments, transit-oriented developments, life sciences projects and hotels. Dana also has particular in-depth experience with shopping center redevelopment and re-positioning (including anchor store) transactions and is adept at handling large industrial and retail portfolio sales, complex governmental development agreements, complex ground leases, industrial leases, life science leases, build-to-suit leases, and anchor retail leases.
Prior to launching CGS3 in 2013 with several of his colleagues, Dana enjoyed a more than 29-year history with Allen Matkins, which provided him and the other founding partners of CGS3 with a common formative experience that has been a major factor in the success of CGS3.
- Represented master developer in all aspects of the development, operation and leasing of the historic Liberty Station project in San Diego, California from inception in 2000 to 2019. Involvement included DDA, CC&Rs, development, sales and leasing.
- Represented RPG (formerly RAF Pacifica Group) in connection with the $170-million portfolio sale of Class-A properties throughout San Diego, California.
- Represented the developer of large hotel, residential and golf resort in La Quinta, California involving restructuring a former redevelopment transaction and related DDA as well as a $212-million construction loan.
- Represented a North County San Diego developer in the acquisition, financing, joint venture, leasing and sale of major life science project.
- Represented the developer of One Santa Fe, a large mixed-use development located in LA’s downtown Arts District, consisting of apartments over above-grade parking and ground floor office and retail. Project included drafting and negotiating a ground lease with LA County Mass Transit Authority and a reciprocal easement agreement.
- Represented a major regional mall owner in the development and financing of Hollywood and Highland, a mixed-use retail, theater and hotel project in Hollywood, California served by an MTA subway station. Representation included DDA and CC&Rs and parking agreements and public and private financing.
- “Best Lawyers – San Diego,” Real Estate Law, The Best Lawyers in America (2011-2022)
- San Diego Super Lawyers, Real Estate (2012-2021)
- “Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine (2017, 2021)
- “Lawyer of the Year,” San Diego, Real Estate Law, The Best Lawyers in America (2017)
- AV Preeminent Rating, Real Property Law, Martindale-Hubbell
- J.D., UCLA School of Law
- M.B.A., UCLA Anderson School of Management
- B.A., Economics, UCLA
- B.S., Biology, UCLA, summa cum laude
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), San Diego Chapter