A highly skilled transactional attorney, David Kanel is a former general counsel who inherently understands complex real estate issues from a client’s perspective.
With considerable in house and law firm experience, he has extensive expertise in retail, commercial and industrial real estate leasing, development, multi-location and multi-state business and real estate acquisitions and dispositions, corporate finance, corporate governance, complex contract negotiation, human resources counseling and litigation management.
Rated AV-preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, his experience has given him a keen understanding of his clients’ needs and business goals – and he always goes the extra mile to provide practical and insightful counsel.
Prior to joining CGS3, he was special counsel for Sheppard Mullin and was of counsel for Miller Starr and Regalia. He has also held several general counsel positions, and served for nine years as vice president and general counsel for Strategic Restaurants, one of the largest restaurant franchise companies in the United States which operates more than 300 locations with over 9,000 employees.
- Represented the seller/franchisee in the sale of 39 Chili’s restaurants in multiple states.
- Represented the buyer in the purchase of 16 TGI Friday’s restaurants out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy, including all work needed to become a new Friday’s franchisee.
- Acquisition of existing locations from other restaurant franchisees which, when coupled with “ground up” development, resulted in the addition of nearly 100 new retail locations to the client’s initial asset base.
- Represented a restaurant client in an internal corporate restructuring, which split the company’s assets and operating structure into several distinct entities, including entity formation and complex tax issues.
- Represented a client with a sophisticated distribution infrastructure as tenant under a large industrial lease.
- Represented an orthopedic medical group in the leasing of a medical office building from a major hospital in the San Jose area.
- Represented the buyer of a dental practice/in Orange County.
- Represented the buyer of a shopping center with more than 20 existing tenants.
- Represented the seller of an office building in Marin County with nearly 30 existing tenants.
- Closed several multi-million-dollar credit facilities, including unsecured facilities and those backed by real estate, personal property and cash collateral. Also closed numerous sale/leaseback financing transactions with institutional lenders and private investors.
- J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law, Magna Cum Laude
- B.A., University of California San Diego, Anthropology, Minor in Quantitative Economics